A festive and delicious, scrumptious “tarte”. It is quick to make and much appreciated by friends who are not into raw food yet.
Do not be afraid to use a lot of onions. The avocado fat removes the strong onion taste – no tears here!
Do serve it on a festive cake stand.
½ cup plus Brazil- or pistachio nuts (preferably soaked, 1 hour better than none)
½ cup plus walnuts (preferably soaked, 1 hour better than none)
1 large carrot, cut into pieces
1 small tomato, halved
3 sun-dried tomatoes (soaked + some of the water)
½ small avocado
½ teaspoon Mexican spice mix or paprika
½ teaspoon sea or herb salt
½ teaspoon Tamari, soy sauce without wheat
½ garlic clove, crushed
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes until soft, about 10-20 minutes. Barely cover them with water.
- Finely chop nuts and carrots in food processor.
- Add all remaining items, except garlic, and run until you have a thick and sticky pȃté. Use some of the soaking water from the tomatoes. If it is still too “dry” in the food processor, then add a slice of tomato or a bit more water.
- Add the pressed garlic and season to taste.
- Remove and flatten the pȃté on a nice plate to an even “base”, less than an 1 inch thick.
2 Avocado Filling
3 avocados, peeled, seeded, cut into pieces
Fresh juice of ½ lime
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
Optional: finely chopped fresh chili pepper, or ground black pepper to taste .
- Place the avocado pieces in a bowl, pour on the lime juice and mash with a fork.
- Add the onion, cilantro, salt, and pepper if using, and stir to mush.
- Taste and adjust.
- Cover the base with a thick layer of avocado filling.
Arugula/rocket leaves, dill, parsley, maché leaves etc.
Radishes, cherry tomatoes, julienned pepper
Optional: capers, olives etc.
Tip: Decorate the plate first with greens, like dill, small arugula/rocket leaves, baby spinach, etc. before you place the pâté layer. Partly because it looks nice around the edge when little green leaves stick out, but also it is easier to serve, because the pâté layer will not stick to the plate.